Monday, May 7, 2007

It's Rose' Season!

The weather is warm here in the Alexander Valley of Sonoma County- actually it is summer desert hot for this time of the year. The warm/hot weather spells the beginning of Rose' drinking! Do I hear a cheer?

This has got to be one of the most versatile wine types, IMHO, but one of the least thought of when perusing the aisles of wine shops. And the notion that there is a season, (late spring and summer) for Rose', well, that's just hogwash (in nice terms). What wine goes with fall and winter dishes like ham, turkey, stews, soups- it's Rose'. One day I know that those who don't know this wine will and will wonder why they didn't give it the credit that it is due.

But enough ranting. I just have to have faith that the word will get out and all of us that love to make and drink this type of wine will make it through another year.

I have missed writing the past couple of weeks due to a business trip to Italy and Portugal. More on that next week- hey, I have to have something to keep you coming back!

Until next week, drink more Rose' (and Tempranillo)!
Cheers from the Mustang Winemaker

2 comments:

Gabriella Opaz said...

Penelope, we recently conducted a rosé virtual tasting on our forum and would love more information about your wines. If you get a second, would you mind sharing y our wines with us.

Thanks,
Gabriella Opaz
www.catavino.net

The Mustang Winemaker said...

Gabriella, I would love to share my wines with you and the forum. I make exclusively Tempranillo wines-vineyard designated. There is a 2004 barrel aged Tempranillo that was aged in primarily used oak. The wine I am most proud of is the Tempranillo Rose'. I still have 2005, which I will talk about. And I will be releasing the 2006 officially next week.

Many California Rose's are made from grapes that are brought in at sugar levels suitable for the barrel aged wines- hence the higher alcohol that some Rose's have. I brought in the grapes (100% Tempranillo) at a lower sugar level, alcohol around 12.5- looking to be more traditional. I can describe more of the process if there is interest.

The color is a beautiful light garnet- more blue than orange. Darker than a Vin Gris, not as dark as a red table wine(I have a picture on my website that might give an idea of the color...). The aromas of this wine are not shy-rose, lime, and red raspberry fruit- really yummy combo! The aromas follow through on tasting along with some minerality that comes from the dryness of the wine and the balance of acidity. There is a creamy feel that helps to bring on a long finish, but still fresh enough to want more.

I have found this to be a very food friendly wine, as many Rose's are. Fun to have a wine that can fill in as a red or a white- great barbeque and holiday wine!

Let me know if there is more elaboration that I can bring to methodology and/or notes on the barrel aged wines.

Cheers- the Mustang Winemaker, Coral Mustang Wines

Tempranillo Twitter- follow me

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog to Twitter